There are six hut settlements/sites on The Old Ghost Road. Hut settlements are classified into one of two categories based on varying degrees of amenities and quality. These include:
- Category 1 – bookable and with a range of facilities;
- Category 2 – not bookable and with only basic facilities.
Category 1 huts are managed by volunteers of the Mokihinui-Lyell Backcountry Trust (MLBT). The huts in this category include 4 huts built by MLBT. Huts (from South to North) are as follows:
- Lyell Saddle Hut – 10 bunks, 2 summer sleepouts and 1 tent site
- Ghost Lake Hut – 18 bunks, 2 summer sleepouts and 1 tent site
- Stern Valley Hut – 10 bunks, 2 summer sleepouts and 1 tent site
- Specimen Point Hut – 14 bunks, 2 summer sleepouts and 1 tent site
MLBT volunteers constructed two summer sleepouts at each hut site. Each sleepout contains 2 double mattresses that can hold a total 4 occupants. Only the entire sleepout can be booked, irrespective of the occupant numbers. Summer sleepouts are ideal for families, couples or those just wanting a bit of privacy away from the main hut. The sleepouts do not have a heat source – because of this they are only available during the warmer months (September to May) so please plan accordingly. People booking the summer sleepouts are welcome to share the communal facilities of the main hut.
Each Category 1 hut comes with the following amenities:
- Gas cooking facilities
- Cooking equipment – kettle, pots, a frying pan, coffee plunger, utensils
- Crockery – plates, bowls, cups, cutlery
- Water supply – rain-fed from the roof
- Bunk mattresses
- Wood fires – our wood supply is precious, please use it responsibly
- 2 composting toilets (with toilet paper)
No lighting, fire-starters (i.e. matches), tea towels or dishwashing utensils are supplied so please bring your own. The communal space in each Category 1 hut also services and is available to users staying in the summer sleepouts at each hut site. Category 1 hut users need to accommodate summer sleepout users as such.
Each Category 1 hut has a tent site adjacent. There is 1 site for up to 2 people available at Lyell Saddle, Ghost Lake, Stern Valley, and Specimen Point huts. Tent sites do not include the use of facilities in main communal huts. Tent site facilities include an outside basin area and composting toilet. Users are expected to be entirely self-sufficient for cooking (bring your own cookers, pots and cutlery).
There are two Category 2 huts along the trail – Goat Creek Hut (4 bunks) and Mokihinui Forks Hut (8 bunks inside + 2 bunks in porch area). Both huts services are limited to a wood fire, long-drop toilet and mattresses. These huts are NOT bookable and are supplied on a first-come, first-served basis.
Please note that Goat Creek must be forded (i.e. there is no bridge) to reach the Goat Creek hut. This crossing may be hazardous and/or impassable in times of elevated creek flow or flood. Plan or prepare accordingly.